During your year, you must complete 6 academic credits (or 72 hours if it is a non-credit course) at an accredited post-secondary institution. Your host family and your LCC can help you select and sign up for courses. Your host family will contribute up to $500 USD towards your classes but any additional costs are your responsibility.
There are so many great options for meeting the requirements of the educational component. You can take classes locally or meet up with au pairs from around the country for a fun-filled weekend.
Weekend courses, specifically for Au Pairs only (Each course is 3 credits including all assignments, and these programs fill quickly, so reserve your seat early)
- LIU Post campus in Greenvale, NY
- Pace University in Westchester, NY
- Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ
- Manhattanville College in Westchester, NY
- Silver Bay Au Pair with locations in Silver Bay, NY, Las Vegas, NV, and Albany, NY
- American Dreams Au Pair with locations in San Diego, San Francisco, Tampa, Chicago, and Boston
Keep in mind that the following options do not count towards your 6 credits:
- Online or distance learning courses (including hybrid courses)
- Study tours such as Trek America
If you want to extend, you must complete your education requirement in the first year by no later than 33 days before your last working day. This means you do not have the full 12 months to complete your courses, because Cultural Care Au Pair must submit the extension request to the U.S. Department of State 30 days before the end of your first year and must confirm that the education requirement has been completed.
Please note: Completing the education requirement is mandatory for all au pairs. Failing to complete it will jeopardize your participation in the program.
Friday, 3 March 2017 3:13 AM